Clayton County, GA Fence Building Codes & Permits
Clayton County does not always require a building permit when erecting a fence. A permit is always required if the site is located within “Conservation, Historic, Landmark (to verify call ), SPI districts or other districts requiring a Special Administrative Permit (to verify call ).
Fences and walls which conform to the provisions stated herein shall be permitted by the Department of Environment and Community Development. Fences erected for agricultural purposes in the AG-1 District shall be exempt from permit requirements.
Easements: No structure with the exception of fences may be located in, or otherwise obstruct any easement. Fences shall be permitted within easements subject to the receipt of written permission from the easement holder. Approval of the Zoning Administrator and applicable County Department shall be required for all fences proposed for placement in easements which are held by Clayton County.
Clayton County Fence and Wall Standards
This Fence and Wall Standards section applies to all districts in Clayton County, GA.
A. Fences and walls shall be permitted in all zoning districts with the issuance of a permit subject to conformance with the following requirements:
1. Height and location requirements: All fences and wall shall be erected in compliance with the following maximum height requirements:
|Type of Fence or Wall||Maximum Height (feet)|
2. All required setbacks for fences and walls shall be measured from the property line or existing street right-of-way line. Height of such fences or walls shall be measured from the grade level to the highest point of the fence or wall.
3. All fences and walls located within the front yard shall be less than four (4) feet in height.
4. All fences and walls, including, but not limited to posts, foundations, and overhanging elements, shall be located completely within the limits of the lot to which they are associated. Fences and walls located within required side and rear yards may be erected on the property line with the submission of written consent from all adjacent property owners or a certified survey verifying the location of lot boundaries.
5. All fences and walls may be permitted up to any property line that is not also a right-of-way line. All fences and walls shall be setback a minimum of two (2) feet from all adjacent rights-of-way or clear zone, as designated within the Department of Transportation and Development’s Land Disturbance and Right-of-way Construction Guidelines, whichever is greater.
6. Fences that have one finished or decorative side shall be oriented with the finished or decorative side facing outward towards adjacent parcels and away from the interior of the lot to which the fence is associated. Masonry walls shall be finished in a similar manner on all sides.
7. No fence or wall may be placed in any right-of-way or any required sight clear zone, Sight Visibility Standards.
8. No fence or wall may be placed in any drainage, utility, sidewalk, landscaping, access or other easement without written permission from the easement holder.
9. No fence or wall may be placed in any required buffer zone that does not specifically provide for the inclusion of fences
11. On residential corner lots, a chain link fence or privacy fence up to six (6) feet in height is permitted within a front yard of a side street provided the residences on the adjacent lot and opposing lot do not front on such side street. Such chain link fence or privacy fence shall not extend beyond the front building line into the front yard of the street that the front of the dwelling faces.
12. On nonresidential lots, a privacy fence or an obscuring wall up to six (6) feet in height shall be permitted within a front yard only where necessary for buffering from adjacent uses and approved on a site plan by the Zoning Administrator.
B. Fences specifically required by this Ordinance for screening, swimming pools, telecommunications facilities, or other purposes may exceed the maximum heights established by this section in a manner consistent with the specific requirements of this Ordinance.
C. The height of a fence shall be determined by measuring from the highest grade to the highest point of the fence, including any posts or finials.
D. The following fences and walls are prohibited within Clayton County:
1. Barbed-wire, razor-wire, or electrified fences, except where, for the purpose of ensuring public safety, the Board of Zoning Appeals may grant approval for installation.
2. Wire fences, except where such fences are located on parcels used for agricultural purposes and not less than three (3) acres in size with a minimum road frontage of 200 feet.
3. Any fence or wall unlawfully installed, erected or maintained.
E. Permits required: A fence permit shall be required for all work performed in association with the construction, alteration, or relocation of a fence or wall, except where otherwise specified herein.
1. Fences and walls for which a fence permit is not required:
- a. Repairs: Repairs to an existing fence or wall with no structural changes.
- b. Replacement: Replacement of an existing fence with a new fence that is the same type, and height and in the same location as the existing fence; provided the replacement fence is otherwise in full compliance with this ordinance.
- c. Gates: The installation of gates of up to eight feet in width in an existing fence or wall with no structural changes.
- d. Fences associated with active farms: Wire or wood fences associated with an active farm on parcels of not less than three (3) acres in size with a minimum road frontage of 200 feet.
- e. Living fences: Planting of continuous hedgerows or similar landscape features.
F. Permit application: Applications for fence permits shall be made upon forms provided by the Community Development Department. The following information shall be provided with the application:
1. A plot plan or lot survey shall be provided that includes the location of all existing and proposed fences, walls, structures, easements and setback dimensions. A detail of the proposed fence or wall with all appropriate dimensions shall also be provided.
2. Written consent of all adjacent property owners, or a certified survey verifying the location of lot boundaries, if a fence or wall is proposed to be erected or installed on a property line.
3. Other information that the Zoning Administrator may require to show full compliance with this ordinance.
G. Legal nonconforming fences and walls: All existing legal nonconforming fences or walls shall be permitted to continue as such until removed, extended or altered, at which time such fences or walls shall be made to conform to the provisions of this Article.
H. Removal of illegal or damaged fences or walls: Damaged or illegal fences or walls shall be immediately repaired, replaced, or removed by the owner, agent or person having the beneficial use of the building or structure upon which said fence or wall shall be found. Upon identification of a damaged or illegal fence or wall, the Zoning Administrator or his designee shall order the property owner via citation or letter to remove or make repairs within ten (10) business days. If the damaged fence or wall is not removed or repaired as ordered within forty-five (45) calendar days, the Board of Commissioners may authorize the County Attorney to pursue court approval for the removal or repair at the expense of the property owner. All expenses related to the removal or repair shall be placed upon the tax roll for the property to which the fence is associated unless immediately reimbursed by the property owner.
1. The visual impacts of communication towers shall be mitigated through landscaping or other screening materials at the base of the tower and ancillary structures as follows:
- a. A ten (10) feet wide landscape buffer which meets the landscape requirements of the Landscape standards in Section 6.34 shall be required around the perimeter of the tower and related equipment; and
- b. Required landscaping shall be installed outside the fence or wall.
E. Security Fencing.
The base of the tower, including any accessory structures, shall be enclosed by a minimum six (6) feet high chain link fence. Landscaping as required by this ordinance shall be installed outside the fenced enclosure.
1. Wireless telecommunications facilities shall contain a sign no larger than four square feet and, no less than three square feet, to provide adequate notification to persons in the immediate area of the presence of an antenna that has transmission capabilities.
2. The sign shall contain the name(s) of the owner(s) and operator(s) of the antenna(s) as well as emergency phone number(s).
- a. The sign shall be located so as to be visible from the access point of the site. The sign shall not be lighted unless permitted by the County Board of Commissioners.
- b. No other signage, including advertising, shall be permitted on any facilities, antennas, antenna supporting structures, or antenna towers, unless otherwise required by law.
(Fence Workshop™ is not responsible for the accuracy of this information. Visit Claytoncountyga.gov, Atlantaga.gov and Municode.com for the most up-to-date information on Clayton County fence building codes and permit requirements.)
We Service the Following Cities in Clayton County, GA:
Get Started – Shop Our Fences Now!
We know you’re getting excited about your new fencing project, and we would love to help. You’re just a call or click away from getting started! Our passion is the art of beautiful fences, and we can’t wait to share that passion with you to create the dazzling fencing you’ve been dreaming of. Get started now!
Phone: 1-888-802-5252 Email: email@example.com Schedule a quote: Online Quick Quote Form